Friday, November 7, 2008

Some thoughts on the elections


Everyone's posting a blog on their thoughts on the election, so I figured I'd do that too :). This blog is supposed to be of photos of my kids, so I'll include one of those just to keep w/ the theme. This election really does have to do a lot w/ my kids. This is the first presidential election that Micaiah and Mimi actually know somewhat of what is going on and will probably be the first one they remember. Not only that, it is a monumental time in history with the election of our nation's first African American president. I'm sure they'll remember.

Honestly though, I sometimes fear the direction our nation is going. Not so much for myself, but more for my children. Yet in fear, I am reminded to return to the Scriptures to gain a right perspective on this world around me. Hopefully, if I can keep a Biblical worldview, I can encourage my children to think likewise, even though many of those who surround us lives otherwise. I'm no theologian and surely not a pastor, so what I write are just some of the passages that have encouraged me over the past month or so as I've read my Bible. Maybe I'm not writing this so much for you, but more to get my thoughts straight myself :).

Whether the result of the elections was Obama or McCain, I have to rest in the knowledge that no matter who the people of this country voted for, God is still Sovereignly in control. It is He who puts leaders in the positions they're in.
  • Romans 13:1 "For there is not authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God".
  • Proverbs 21:1 "The kings heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes."
  • The first six chapters of the book of Daniel have been a great encouragement to me as well. Reading the whole book puts all those Bible Stories we heard as kids into context. Daniel lived righteously through the reigning of many different kings and kingdoms - and he often was not treated well because of it! But Daniel knew it was God who allowed these men to rule. "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings;" (Daniel 2:21).
Regardless of what happens to the US in years to come, I have to remember that my citizenship is in heaven, not here on earth. Philippians 3:17-21 "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ . . . " Though I love my country and want the best for it, when I try to take a more eternal perspective, heaven is my home, not here. My hope is in Christ, not in one man or another. 1 Peter is one of my favorite books of the Bible, and 1:13 always encourages me to keep a right perspective in this life. "Therefore, gird your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ." Daily I have to ask myself, where am I fixing my hope?

Finally, I'm reminded in 1 Timothy 2:1-4 to PRAY. "First of all, then I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." I think I often discount the fact that prayer does anything, but that's because my view of God is way, way too small. If anything, I should act in obedience to the Scriptures by praying for our nations leaders.

No comments: